B.M., Oberlin College-Conservatory of Music, 1967; M.M., The Ohio State University, 1968; M.T.S., Trinity Lutheran Seminary, 1989; Ch.M., A.A.G.O., American Guild of Organists, 1975, 1976; Graduate Study, Kirchenmusikalisches Institut, Erlangen, Germany, and Universität Erlangen, 1967; Westminster Choir College, 1982-85; Studied with David Boe, Wilbur Held, Flor Peeters, Lady Susi Jeans, Hermann Harrassowitz, Lionel Rogg and Frauke Haasmann; Church Musician: Port Clinton, OH, 1959-61; Sandusky, OH, 1961-63; Oberlin, OH, 1964-67; Erlangen, Germany, 1967; Columbus, OH, 1969-; Director of Musical Resources, Trinity, 1984-89; Director, M.T.S. Program in Chuch Music, Trinity, 1989-93; Assistant Professor of Church Music, Trinity 1991-94; Director, M.A., in Church Music Program, Trinity, 1993-; Associate Professor of Church Music, Trinity, 1994-99; Professor of Church Music, Trinity, 1999-.
- Come, Holy Spirit, Blow Across the Waters. Anthem/hymn concertato, SATB choir and organ with optional bass quintet and congregation. Hymn text by Barbara Jurgensen. Music by May Schwarz. Commissioned by The Trinity Lutheran Seminary Class of 1996, dedicated to the Trinity Seminary Community. Augsburg Fortress, 11-10920. 1996.
- Magnificat. Anthem for Unison Voices or Solo Voice and Organ. (Luke 1:46-55) MSM -80-075. MorningStar Music Publishers, St. Louis, MO. 1993.
- She Came to the Banquet. Unison hymn setting. (Mark 14:3-9). MSM-75-8700, 8700A. MorningStar Music Publishers. 1993.
- Introductions and Alternate Accompaniments for Organ. Evangelical Lutheran Worship. Vol 9, #761, Evening and Morning. Vol. 10, #878, Soli Deo Gloria.
- Augsburg Fortress. 2007-2009. Psalter for Worship. Year A, B, C. Evangelical Lutheran Worship. Augsburg Fortress. 2007-2009.
- Sundays and Seasons. Year A. “Psalms are for Singing¸ Recovering Our Scriptural Heritage in Song,” Augsburg Fortress, 2007.
- Evangelical Lutheran Worship. #218 You Anoint My Head. Augsburg Fortress.2007.
- Pull Out the Stops! Congregational Song Accompaniments for Organ. Volume 1 & 2. Augsburg Fortress. 2001, 2005.
- Carol Doran, Clergy Formation in Music: Long Cherished Dreams Come to Life, in National Association of Pastoral Musician Journal, Pastoral Music, December 2008.
- Welcome to Christ: Lutheran Rites for the Catechumenate. Liturgical music settings for SATB or unison. Augsburg Fortress 1997. ISBN 0-8066-3394-8
- The New Century Hymnal, Psalm tones, p. 620 The Pilgrim Press, Cleveland, Ohio, 1995 ISBN 0-8298-1050-1
- “Psalms are for Singing: Recovering Our Scriptural Heritage in Song,” The Journal of Anglican Musicians. Volume 15, Number 7, September 2006.
- “Psalms are for Singing: Recovering Our Scriptural Heritage in Song,” Cross Accent. Journal of The Association of Lutheran Church Musicians. Volume 13.
- "Church Music at Trinity Lutheran Seminary," Cross Accent. Journal of The Association of Lutheran Church Musicians. Volume 9, Number 3, Fall 2001.
- Hyslop, Scott. The Journey was Chosen: The Life and Work of Paul Manz. St. Louis, MO: MorningStar Music Publications, 2007, in Trinity Seminary Review. Vol. 29 #2. Summer/Fall 2008. 246. ISBN # 978-0-944529-43-0.
- Brokering, Herbert. Earth and All Stars. Hymns and Songs for Young and Old. Minneapolis, MN Augsburg Fortress, 2003 in The Hymn. Journal of The Hymn Society of America and Canada, 2005.
- Troeger, Thomas H. Borrowed Light. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 1994. Review in Cross Accent; Journal of Association of Lutheran Church Musicians.
- Hoover, Bryan, editor, The Psalter; Psalms and Canticles for Singing. Westminster/John Knox Press, 1993; in Trinity Seminary Review, 16 #1. Spring 1994.
- Troeger, Thomas H. and Doran, Carol. New Hymns for the Life of the Church. Oxford University Press, 1992. Review in Cross Accent; Journal of the Association of Lutheran Church Musicians.
- Music is the Voice of Heaven. February 2007. The Speaker Series: Tuesdays at Emmanuel, Emmanuel Lutheran Church, Naples, Florida, February 2007
- Building Parish Music Programs, Association of Lutheran Church Musicians Conference and Leadership Program for Musicians Conference (ALCM/LPM) Columbus, Ohio. July 2006.
- Developing Singing Leadership in the Liturgy. New York City. Association of Lutheran Church Musicians National Conference. July 2005.
- Choral Reading Sessions. Oberlin College – Conservatory of Music. Association of Lutheran Church Musicians. July 2000.
- Music from Taize. Presenter and Director. For Columbus Chapter American Guild of Organists and Trinity Lutheran Seminary. Gloria Dei Worship Center, Trinity Lutheran Seminary. February 8, 1999.
- Psalms are for Singing. Virginia Synod Worship Conference “Power in the Spirit” at Roanoke College, Roanoke, VA. July 15-17, 1999.
- Psalms are for Singing. American Guild of Organists Conference, Denver, July, 1998
- Teaching New Music to Congregations. ELCA Congregational Leadership Convocation, Orlando, Fall 1998.
- Cross Training of Clergy and Musicians at Trinity Lutheran Seminary. Kansas City. American Guild of Organists, Sept 5, 1997. Organist for Choral Evensong, 1997.
Director, Trinity Seminary Choir
- Bach: Cantata#31 The Heavens Rejoice (2000)
- Rutter Te Deum (2002)
- Schubert Mass in G Major (2000)
- Vivaldi: Gloria (2007)
- Haydn: Mass in Tim e of War (2007); Lord Nelson Mass (2001, 2006); Theresienmesse (2008); Mass in B-flat (Heiligmesse) (2004)
- Mozart: Trinity Mass (2005, 2009) Coronation Mass (2003, 2006); Requiem (2005, 2008), Vespers Confessore (2003); Vespers Domenica (2004)
- 2007 - Ottawa, Ontario, Canada. Knox Presbyterian Church. Featured Organist, The Hymn Society of American & Canada Conference, Hymn Festival commemorating hymnwriter Paul Gerhardt (1607-1676) 400th Anniversary.
- 2000 - Nykoping, Sweden. St. Nicolai Church. Organ recital
- 1979 - London, England: St. Margaret’s Church. Organ recital
- 1979 - London, England: Christ Church, Chelsea. Organ recital
- American Guild of Organists (AGO); Certification: AAGO Ch.M. - Dean: 1997-1999
- Association of Lutheran Church Musicians (ALCM). - National Vice-President:1997-1999
- Ohio Music Teachers Association (OMTA). Adjudicator
- Music Teachers National Association (MTNA) National Certification
- American Choral Directors Association (ACDA)
- Pi Kappa Lambda, national music honorary
HONORS & AWARDS
- Pepperdine University, The Ascending Voice. Malibu California. Winner of a cappella hymn composition competition. - June 2007
- God and Country Award, Mershon Auditorium, The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio. Recognized for significant contribution to the arts. Govenor’s Award - March 19, 2005
- National Religious Music Week Award. - 2004
- Vocal Resources Network for Contribution to the Arts in Ohio, Governor’s Award - 2001
- Pi Kappa Lambda, national music honorary - 1969