About the Program
This program addresses the church’s lifelong educational ministry, from early childhood through adulthood. Graduates may anticipate vocations in congregations and church agencies, as well as continuing graduate education. Courses will emphasize teaching of all age groups, including adults and older adults.
A full-time student may complete the degree within two years; however, many persons prefer part-time study while fully employed. Summer courses and evening classes help facilitate part-time study.
56 semester hours of coursework
- Theological Core Courses: 20 semester hours in biblical studies, systematic theology, church history, person in ministry, spirituality, denominational identity
- Degree Requirement Courses: 10-13 semester hours of requirements and 7-10 semester hours of concentration electives (20 hours total)
- Elective Courses: 16 semester hours of self-selected courses of interest
For the sake of the mission of the church, graduates of the Master of Arts in Christian Education degree program at Trinity Lutheran Seminary are able to:
- Use appropriately the resources of scripture and the church’s historical and theological tradition
- Read and interpret critically and accurately contexts of mission and ministry
- Articulate a vision for educational ministry appropriate to the mission of the church
- Provide capable leadership for the church's educational ministry
- Demonstrate a healthy and resilient faith
A minimum of 200 hours of supervised field experience completed in consultation with the program director. While most field experience is done in congregations, some may be accomplished in agencies or other relevant settings. The aim is to engage in ministry practice within the framework of academic study and theological reflection.